View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 07:36 AM
joan_quilts

I live in a very rural area of PA. We moved her 15 years ago because we wanted to raise our kids in the country. We have 3 acres of land, lots of gorgeous wild life, very quiet and beautiful.

The only draw back with living here is that if you were not born and raised here, have family roots you can trace back to the 1700's, you will never be accepted. Everyone is related to each other out here. Nothing changes. Nepotism runs rampant. Gossip is even faster spreading than the manure spreaders in Spring! LOL

There are 2 grocery stores here. We have 2 traffic lights. You have to drive 45 minutes if you want to go to Wal-Mart, which is in the next county over. Everything closes up by 8:00 at night.

There is a local quilt club but no guildes here. The quilt club is so unorganized it drove me nuts! I went to a few meetings but got very frustrated when I tried to make suggestions and was told, "this is the way we have always done it, so we won't change". Ok, I went back home and kept teaching myself by using the internet! LOL

There is nothing here for the kids to do. That is why we have such a high pregnancy rate and our young people have many car accidents and usually alcohol is a factor.

But, the biggest crime is usually a mailbox getting smashed or someone breaking and entering a business, or under age drinking.

There is no ethic diversity either. There are no African Americans in our school. It is very red neck and hunting is not a season but a way of life. That is kind of sad because there is not a lot of emphasis on education. Many kids graduate,graduating classes are like 64 kids, and many can not read or do basic algebra.

Dh and I are waiting for youngest son to graduate in June then we are moving. It has been a good place to raise the kids as far as crime goes, but, it has also been a bad place because of the attitude of the people here.