Old 02-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Glenn

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by Glenn
Billy us antiques restoration people have always had trouble with you car painters wanting to spray that high gloss finish on wood. That is okay I understand!!! :lol: You can rub the finish down with steel wool(oooo) and wax to take some of this shine off if you want. Most people do not realize that shellac was used on the machine cabinets and the machines themselves. It is wise to test the finish to see what it is. I am like you Billy we are family and I am here to help. Glenn
Okay guys... what about Tung oil. Isn't that a shallac of sorts? I'm thinking about using that over the cabinets (I've now got two) once stripped and stained. It penetrates, it seals, you can get it in high gloss and low gloss. Yes? No?
Tung oil is not shellac, shellac is made from the shellac beetle. I use shellac because that was the original finish on the old sewing machine cabinets. There is nothing wrong with tung oil it is a personal choice. If you like the look then go far it. The solvent for shellac is denatured alcohol so the finish can be repaired easy. Glenn