Old 02-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Glenn

[quote=kwendt]
Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by Glenn
Okay guys... what about Tung oil. Yes? No?
I used Formby's Tung Oil high gloss finish on my cabinets. I like the look. You can also use 100% Tung Oil that Lee Valley sells. I use that on my kitchen wooden counter top, works well.
I get a lot of my stains and shellac from Lee Valley, I do not like Formby's and I really do not tung oil. It must be reaplied every year or so to keep the furniture looking good. Shellac provides a much better moisture barrier than tung oil. I do nodt think tung oil is bad I just think shellac is a better finish. Glenn
Hum... okay. I guess it's a personal thing.. but if the one is a better moisture barrier, then that's a reasonable reason for me to choose that over the other. Meanwhile, when I got home this afternoon, one of the cats had thrown up on top of teak entertainment center. Can we say... nasty mess/nasty spot? <sigh> Tonight, I'll be fixing that. I love my cats, I love my cats, I'm not in Kansas anymore... I love my cats, I....
Teak is one of the woods that need oil to preserve the finish. If the cat stuff left a stain in the wood you can mix equal parts baking soda and corn starch with a little water to make a paste and put on the stain until removed. Then teak oil several times to even out the color. If not to bad you can just use cornstarch dry over the stain. I hope you are lucky and no staining. Glenn