View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 09:34 AM
The Creative Seamstress

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
I've seen some of the wonderful swap items and can't for the life of me figure out how they come up with so much for $10. Seems like everything around here is pretty costly quilting wise.

How do you score such treats?

I would hate to be the sender and have just a couple little items because of that...any ideas would be greatly appreciated so I wouldn't shortchange anyone.

Thanks
Everyone has their own formula, but for me, 1/2 of my gift is always from my own overall stash of craft related items, and/or things I've made and the other 1/2 come from shopping with the designated $10 budget at places like Joann's and Hancocks where I use coupons and my VIP discount which usually gives me at least 50-60% off the items i'm purchasing which allows me to buy more items.

Also, I always check out the clearance aisle at any store I'm at case there is anything that fits the bill of my buddy's desired items, as you can never beat a good deal! I always try to personalize things in as special a way as possibly I can, and just by making the right cost conscious selections while shopping, perusing your stash and a touch of creativity - anyone can come up with a pretty nice selection!

So - bottomline is - don't worry about it, it's all for fun anyways. The only way anyone would be offended is if you mailed a single 1/2 inch jelly bean and that was it to the entire package. Clearly that didn't cost $10, LOL. However - if you manage to find a 3 lb jelly belly, than that's okay! Just have fun and do what it is you can. Something small and heartfelt can mean more than and speak volumes that a box chock full of a million things. We are all in the same boat with the economy, and the budget for this swap fits just right in line with that. It's just meant to be a fun and inspiring experience for all of us - as often the packages come just when they are needed during the course of our lives during the given gift month. I hope this inspires you to join us!

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress