View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 05:07 AM
auntluc

Originally Posted by sandpat
OK..I'm trying to put on a narrow border and the fabric is almost ruffling up on me. It isn't puckering, it is just really full and lays pretty wavy when I try to lay the quilt on the floor. I thought..well, I probably cut it wrong...I folded the fabric selvage edge to selvedge, then cut..is that wrong or right for a border.

I'm taking it off now..I'll have to resew it tomorrow, I hate to mess up the whole quilt when I'm this close to being finished. I'm sure there is something to learn here..I just haven't figured out exactly what I did wrong..yet...
The first few quilts I made had wavy borders because I didn't use a walking foot and I didn't measure the quilt and cut the borders to that measurement. I now measure down the center of the quilt to get the measurement for the side borders and measure across the center of the quilt to get the measurements for the top and bottom borders.
gcathie gave some good advice about marking and matching the centers of your quilt with the centers of your borders. I put a pin at the quarter sections and match them too.
Let us know how things turn out for you.
How smart you are to take the borders off and redo them...I wasn't smart enough to do that....but at the time I was new to quilting and didn't have a walking foot either....but we learn as we go.