Old 02-07-2011, 03:55 AM
patricej
Administrator

there's another thread here about this subject. i hope we can keep it down to just the two.

i can speak only for myself.

first ... i do not equate "football" to "this country". there are tens of millions of us who never watch football. we couldn't care less - and that includes the Super Bowl. so i do not consider what goes on there to define me or my fellow Americans.

second ... football is just like any other form of public entertainment. it's a business. the owners and promoters will cater to "the lowest common denominator". they are not concerned about the quality of the experience they offer. their first and final considerations will always be popularity - as measured in the target market - and ticket sales.

from what i've read here and in the so-called news, i expect i would have agreed (had i watched) that our anthem had been butchered. i could only guess about the reason(s).

however, grousing about it here isn't a step toward change - if that is in fact what most football fans want.

send letters (not email; not phone calls. use snail mail for its visual and physical impact on the corporate mail rooms.)

write to the television station on which you watched the game.
write to the network(s) that broadcast the game.
write to the record label who sells the singer.
write to every company that broadcast a commercial during the game.
write to the store(s) that sell the products that were advertised.

heck ... write to your Senators and Representatives for good measure.

Never forget ... unless you/we take constructive steps to at least try solving a probem, you/we are and will remain (let's say it altogether now) ... part of the problem. ;-)