View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 07:36 AM
catmcclure

Originally Posted by GrandmaAva
And how many American businesss have WalMart put out of business by their pricing policies and "buy Asia" policies? Everything I have read says what a horrible "woman unfriendly" employer WM is. The last I heard, WM is still privately owned by the Walton family, who are so rich they won't even talk about it. Is all this just rumor? On principle, I rarely go into a WM store.
It's my understanding that the Waltons are large (extremely) stockholders. However, the corporation itself is being run by MBAs. My husband detests MBAs because they think they can run any company, no matter the product, simply by running the numbers. CompUSA got an MBA CEO and he decided to get rid of the older, more knowledgeable, sales people and keep the young ones who didn't know the product but worked cheaply. Last I heard they were bankrupt. Fabric, as Sam Walton and his wife knew, is probably a loss leader for Walmart. However, it is a way to get lots of women to come to the store frequently. I can find groceries, car parts, books, etc., other places closer to my home, I didn't have anyplace close to buy fabric. Joanns just opened here and it was a madhouse on opening day. Looked like a combination Black Friday/Superbowl party.