View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 10:35 AM
azwendyg

Originally Posted by sidmona
I have a Juki and just finished a queen quilt on it. I have even done a few kings. The trick is to puddle the quilt, not roll it.
My method, exactly. I have a Juki 98 TL and just "puddle" the excess quilt around the machine and only worry about the area under the needle and between my hands being smoooth while I'm quilting it. I tried "rolling" the quilt ONE TIME, and won't do that again-it seemed impossible to handle that way.

There are 2 things that I think make doing large quilts on a small machine possible; basting your quilt sandwich well, and placing a couple of 2' x 4' folding tables around my sewing table to support the excess bulk of the quilt. I have one table off the back of the machine and a second one perpendicular to the first on the right hand side.

I've also sucessfully FMQ'd on my Bernia that has a pretty average size throat space using this method.

FMQing can be done on a regular domestic machine, and it's even enjoyable!

Leah Day has a good video on youtube that demonstrates how to do a large quilt on a small machine here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc2Y1...ayer_embedded# You may find it helpful to watch this...

Wendy