Old 12-28-2008, 05:00 AM
GailG

Originally Posted by KO24
DO NOT IRON your squares if you have already cut them out...
Pin two togehter (or not) and sew together using a 1/4 inch seam. It is important to use this seam throughout the contruction of your quilt.
Sew the next block onto the first two and so on till you have it the length you want.
Press your seams toward the darkest fabric. Press down with a hot iron, no steam...
This should get your rows together...
Let us know when you want to get your rows put together and we then can help you there.
PM with any pertinent questions
K
I'm curious to know why she is advised not to iron the squares. I can think of only one reason that perhaps one would not iron -- the blocks may be distorted. And why "no steam"? If these are fabrics that have been laundered before, why should the steam affect them?

Also, rather than press to the dark, wouldn't it be easier to press the seams in one row all one way and then in the next row all the opposite direction. Please understand that I am rather perspectively "disadvantaged" :roll: and always have difficulty knowing which way to press the seams so they will interlock when piecing the next row.

What courage you have for wanting to undertake this project. You will do well. And what a memory you will have! Keep us posted as to your progress.