Old 02-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Glenn

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by Glenn
Hey all you quilters working on sewing machine cabinets I have posted a tut on refinishing them using shellac since that is what is on the old vintage and antique treadles and other cabinets with age.

If you want to restore instead of refinishing we will tackle this as need arises to repair a bad spot. This tut will be never ending because there are so many types of repair so will handle this by your questions as they come up. Glenn
Thanks Glenn... um for the record, just like I'm sure Glenn does... I use a VOC removing cartridge respirator mask or a R95/99 paper mask as necessary for sanding, refinishing, spraying, etc. All done either outside, or in a very well ventilated shop/room area. I would recommend that anyone doing anything like sanding/refinishing read up on which masks to use and when. They are not all 'created equal'. Safety first. Some of my more esoteric forge work also requires a mask for certain things - particulate or vapor. Since I demonstrate 18th century forgework using coal, starting up the forge with bt coal is a nasty, smoky process. Even though I do it quickly, I still don't want that stuff in my lungs. Use a mask.
you are right I forgot to mention the use of the mask. I use a respor type everytime I work on furniture. Safety first. This is one of the reasons I use shellac it is food safe. Glenn