View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Farm Quilter

"This is for a queen size bed it is 60 square so I want to add a border to make it larger. (this kit only has instructions for the 60 square). The Batting I have for it is 90x108."

Figure out what you want your final size to be...with that batting, as a machine quilter, I would have my top finish at 82x100. You have a 60" square center medallion, so you need to add 22" to the sides and 40" to the top and bottom. This means your borders will be different sizes on the top/bottom compared to the sides. You could add a different color to the top and bottom - 9.5" each (cut to that and finish at adding 9" to the top and bottom of the quilt) - then add your 3 identical borders around the entire quilt. It looks like the 2 inner borders in the picture are the same size with the outer border larger - would be easy to make the 2 smaller borders finish at 6" each and the outer border finish at 10".

If you do it this way, I would get 1.5 yards of the 9.5" material, 1.5 yards of inner border - cut 8 WOF 6.5" strips, 1.75 yards of middle border - cut 10 WOF 6.5" strips, 3 yards of the outer border, cut 11 WOF 10.5" strips.

Mind you, I figured this out in my head, so please check my math...I don't have one of those wonderful fabric calculators! Draw it out on graph paper...that's the way I usually do it.