View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 01:12 PM
The Creative Seamstress

This can become a very long thread in terms of description, but I'll try to summarize and encourage you to search youtube for videos so you can visually see it. There are so many options for LAQ you can't imagine! Some are FMQ'd entirely off the top of someones head (much like you would at a traditional sewing machine), or by using a pantograph and even using QuiltCAD software to stitch out designs similar to the way an embroidery machine would work. That is a very short summary, but if you're curious searching for some videos would be a great starting point. I personally don't yet have an LAQM but that is on my someday list. I've used ones before that some friends have and love it, but its something to aspire to and there is a learning curve. Many things are affected in terms by which kind you are using, i.e. a sitdown or stand up kind etc as not all LAQM's are attached to a quilt frame. There are handles and knobs to get used to depending on what you're doing and it takes a bit of getting used to. Some are entirely manual and some are high tech and computerized - the possibilities are endless and really depends on the preferences of the user and their intended application, furthermore how high tech they want to go with their setup! I hope this helps a bit, and please check out some videos! Good luck quilting and I'm glad you're enjoying it so far! We all start somewhere!

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress