View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Candy Apple Quilts

Originally Posted by ckcowl
visit the gammil web site, they have videos and you can watch it in action!
but simply put, you have a frame, the quilt is rolled on rollers, the backing first then the top on another roller, the two are then pulled across the table to another roller- the batting (floats) inbetween. the machine itself is a large throated straight stitch sewing machine...the long-arm part is the throat space which ranges from like 16" upto 20+" somewhere in there...anyway, the machine is seated on a carriege with wheels that has wheels that run along a track on the table. there are handlebars on both ends of the machine, from one side you are looking at your stitching area and can do freemotion or what ever, hand guided quilting; from the other end of the machine you can lay out pantographs and use the laser stylis to quilt your pattern. you hold the handlbars and (drive). you can go in circles-loops, straight lines (with the help of rulers) what ever . stitch regulators are an attachment that keeps the stitch length even. the machine only does a straight stitch and has a (hopping foot) that looks like the darning/freemotion foot you can get for domestic machines.
but visit the web site and watch...it is great...or just do a search of machine quilters, there are some tutorials out there that will blow you away!
I agree -- visit the Gammill web site, and while you are there, click on the Statler Stitcher section. It's the computerization that can give you really intricate designs, repeated perfectly. I LOVE mine -- and hubby knows I would trade HIM before I would trade my Statler! :lol: