View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 02:24 PM
ljorange

Originally Posted by pdcakm
Originally Posted by mayday
Petrol stn---expensive, fresh fish shop, paper shop, library, book shop,electrical shop, sweet shop,3 small convenience shops,3 pet food shops, vegetable /fruit shop,3 hairdressers plus 2 barbers, flower shop, 2 fresh homemade bread shops,shoe shop,2 good jewellers, ironmongers,laundrette,bookies,2 pizza shops, fish and chips,dress shop,8 pubs/ inns 4 doing food,teenage "CLUB 24" ,embroidery shop,2 charity shops,2 banks,2 dentists, Drs surgery,optician,small food hall.carpet shop, cheap bed type shop, 1 church 1 chapel, 3-4 nursing homes can't remember more----------this is what I call a one eyed town with only one main street, but suppose people don't have to go far unless they wish.
Rollerball is here, now!

it seems to me that, in countries other than the usa, small shops of all kinds are still the norm. even small towns have their own fruit and veg, butcher, baker, etc.

it would be great to be able to go to the fruit and veg shop, the bakery, a real cafe. instead we have to go to walmart and a few chain stores to get second rate meat and baked goods. the small business owner has been pushed out by taxes and greedy big business. we have been taken over by "bigger is better".

i live in the state capitol of california and can't find a bakery or butcher. there is almost nothing for young people that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to participate in. just heard that we have been found to be one of the top ten worst places to live in california. would move back to portland, or or seattle, wa in a heart beat if my kids weren't here.