View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 07:08 AM
Billie G

Mary
My late husband was going to dialysis 3X a week & always complained that he was cold. I hear what you are trying to do!!
DH was into hunting, camping, birds, animals, basiclly (sp) ALL outdoors. I also custom make shirts, so I saved the left over fabric, along those lines & made a quilt for him.
I don't measure real well-sooooo I cut a 4 sq. patch out of blue & grey- His favorite colors Than measured that & cut out a sq. to match the first 4 patch. Alternated a 4 patch & a reg. square. He really wanted it, but I told him that it was for the volunteer fire dept. raffle. I even went so far as to ask him which backing looked best w/ it. He picked that out also. I sent it off to my long arm quilted, she quilted in animals, fish, pine trees etc. It turned out WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I gave it to him for his b'day in May & he about lost it!!!!!!!!!! He was soooooo proud of that quilt. He ended up in a nursing home for about 3 mos. before passing, but he had that quilt w/ him every day. Covered up @ dialysis & had it on his bed also. I did get it back, & it holds a lot of special memories!!!!!!!!!!
As I said, I'm really not into the measuring thingy, so I just eye balled it. LOL. It did turn out to be just the right size for one person to snuggle under though. I try to take into consideration how big the person is as well as the length.
It will fit on the top of a twin bed w/ not much drop to the sides. I'm sorry that is not much help, but that is how I measure things. I find for me, that if I follow a pattern size, it is way tooooo small or way tooooo big for what I want. So I just go till I think it is the right size, than stop.

good luck

Billie