Old 02-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Bubblegum0077

Originally Posted by BKrenning
Originally Posted by Bubblegum0077
I got the card trick pattern on line at About.com quilting for free and it calls for a finished block at 9". I am trying to use my scraps, but the pattern calls for 2 different sized squares at 4 1/2" and 3 7/8" and some of the fabric scraps are not that big. Is it worth making a down-sized card trick block with such small pieces? Or am I better off using this pattern as is with yardage? I thought this would be ideal for my scraps and wanted to balance the color pallette possiblly using four smaller blocks into one larger block and dividing it with sashes. I've never made this block before and it looks fairly easy, but I am not good at down-sizing blocks and trying to figure out that detail.

Maybe someone on the board who makes tiny sized quilts can address this issue.

Any suggestions, or should I just stick with the pattern the way it is?
Ok, I looked up the instructions you have and to make it in 6" blocks instead of 9" is very simple.

Change all the 3-7/8" cuts to 2-7/8" cuts and all the 4-1/4" to 3-1/4". The 9-1/2" sashing strips should also be changed to 6-1/2". You'll need to make approximately 33% (10-12) more blocks at the 6" size and you'll need more fabric for the sashing since having more blocks and seems will take up some of it but not too much more probably.
Does that smaller size include 1/4" seam allowance?