View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 07:27 PM
PKWard

Arghhh...that's suppose to say do you think she HAND stitched all the embroidery?

Originally Posted by PKWard
Question...do you think she had stitched all the embroidery? The quilt is beautiful!!!

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I''m in too - I shall be using a black background, because I have never done a quilt that dark, and I love the way colours pop with black behind them.

I am enlarging my blocks by 142% to bring them up from 7in to 10in. I have cut my background squares right across the width of fabric, so they are more or less 11in square, to give me a little 'wiggle' room for trimming down to 10.5in ready for sewing together.

By doing this, I estimate my quilt will end up about 84in square, and will therefore fit my bed. I don't have a lot of room for hanging quilts, only one place really, and I regularly change my quilts according to the seasons in that space. Plus to enlarge a block means that it's sometimes easier to make than a smaller one, and there isn't much more work involved.

I will be making my quilt using the needle turn method, and taking lots of pics along the way, both front and back, to give you all an insight on how I do mine. If anyone wants it, I will try and give some info on how to needlturn and get round the corners, and even how to do the relatively simple embroidery that decorates most, if not all blocks.

I have posted the first block in the thread for it, just to give you an idea on how mine will look. The thread for the first one is here:http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-95416-1.htm#2398791

You might like to look at this site too: http://cherylquilts.com/affairs_of_the_heart.htm
This quilt was machined, with satin stitch around all the pieces. The maker also changed her border and it's considerably different to the original in the book, which is more gentle curves and swirls than the one in this site. But if you are unsure about the blocks, there are some good pics of the blocks below the quilt, so do scroll down to see them.