View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 05:52 AM
Happy Treadler

I'm diligently working on my lap quilt, and I'm feeling better and better about the quality of my stitches. I also have tried about 4 thimbles, and I think I'm just meant to use my fingernail after all. I will probably keep trying to train myself, though, because of the issue of wearing a hole through my nail. I did, however, find that the Thimble It stickers do work well for 'catching' my needle, but I still can't seem to feel like I've got as much control using them to push and SO much prefer my nail.

My question this cold and frigid day is I'm wondering what my 'goal' is for my stitching. Am I supposed to be aiming for a stitch that looks like machine stitching, or is my 'goal' the smaller the better? Seems like the smaller the stitching, the more space between them.

On another note, I did upgrade my needles and it made a world of difference that now I am not bending them anymore. I also ordered a small wholecloth panel that I'm planning on using as the centerpiece of a queen-sized quilt, and I'm looking forward to planning an original design. Thinking of doing more intricate paper-pieced stars in creams, tans, and browns. Does anyone know about these pre-printed panels? Will the markings just wash off in water? I also already received some wool batting for the quilt, and am excited to see how it will needle.

I appreciate all the help I get here and I am learning SO much. I thoroughly enjoy my handquilting evenings more and more.

Trina