Old 02-09-2011, 07:40 AM
sblancarte

I love the rule of 3-actually if you just start and tell yourself you are only going to do a certain length of time or so many fabrics you will find yourself doing more. The best tool I have found (& I have purchased lots of organizational items)--is to use one of those large rulers that are 8.5" by 24"; fold your fabric in half lengthwise and wrap snugly around the ruler, when finished, remove ruler & fold in half. It's amazing how much less room the fabric takes up and as you fold your fabrics, you can start organizing them by color, theme, project, etc.. A narrower ruler works well for 1 yard and less. I made myself get rid of a lot of fabrics that I had sitting around for 10 years or more--out of style and I'd lost interest in them. I put my folded fabrics on a shelving system that is 11" deep and I placed the shelves only 10" apart so I don't have giant stacks. I love to look at my fabrics and discovered I am less likely to purchase un-needed fabric now-I can shop my stash! Hope this helps-I'm almost finished with setting up my new quilting space since moving and I will post pics then.