View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 02:13 PM
helou

I am very novice in quilting, and 4 or 5 years ago, I took a 4 Saturday patchwork and quilting class. I just wanted to know how quilts were made. I had no intention to make a big one for any bed whatsoever because I am too busy with too many other activities, but I was very curious to learn the process.

I learned to do the “Jewel Box” block, the 9 patch block, log cabin, a reversible block, the Drunkard’s Patch, and 2 sandwich blocks assembled with 2 colors binding... Hey! I was all set loll...

After the classes were over, I ended up with sampler blocks and one place mat done in class. I decided to call them my “learning” blocks of different sizes and colors, and I had no intention to leave them in a box for future generation to throw away.

My sister in law, who is an excellent quilter, lent me one of her books “The Art of classic Quiltmaking” by Harriet Hargrave & Sharyn Craig, and I decided to keep learning by myself so I could use my sampler blocks and built something around them later on.

I did not have a clue on how to choose fabrics that would look ok beside one another. Plus, this class was for learning to do small quilted projects. A big mistake I made was to pick a little bit of fabrics of different colors for each of the “small” project.

Here is for the first block. I’ll try to post the rest but may be not today
1st class and the color of my fabrics are awful together and, experiencing is all I am doing

Jewel box
[ATTACH=CONFIG]129448[/ATTACH]

later on I tried the Lemoyne Star
[ATTACH=CONFIG]129464[/ATTACH]

finished it as a cushion with the Lemoyne
[ATTACH=CONFIG]129466[/ATTACH]

the back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]129642[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-129443.jpe   attachment-129459.jpe   attachment-129461.jpe   attachment-129637.jpe