View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 07:11 PM
daisyboo9

I have a friend or shall we say an aquaintence, who really wanted to make a quilt and asked me to help her. I agreed because at the time I was just learning myself. She picked a pattern out of a book she had and we got down to work. Unfortunately she had very little fabric to put towards it and did not want to buy any. I would say 90% of the fabric came from my stash. I cut it all and left it for her to sew, as I was going to do the quilting. This was about 2 years ago. She dropped it off for me to quilt a few weeks ago. She has been calling to push me to get the quilting done, because she says she has sold it to a friend for $400. Don't get me wrong its great that she has sold it, but let me tell you what she left me with. She did not match alot of her seams, she did not press anything, and she has not clipped her threads. It is a total mess. I spent 3 hours on it this morning trying to press it and clip threads and I am not even halfway there. This is a twin size quilt and I do not feel comfortable with quilting this size on my home machine. I can rent a longarm for $50/4hours. I have to still buy batting and backing . The friend has left a deposit of $100, which will pay for the rental and other supplies still needed, but I don't think I should be left cleaning up this mess. It won't matter to her because she is not quilting it, but what I am most worried about is the mess of the seams not being pressed as she went, causing a problem while quilting and maybe even putting a hole in the quilt. I don't know the person that bought it, or what their expectation will be of it when finished. This friend is very opinionated and will not hear me even if I try to tell her gently. I am thinking of telling her that the place where I rent the machine will not let me quilt it in that condition. If only she didn't have to be so difficult, I am not into confrontation, but I also don't feel that it should be my job to clean up her mess. What would you do?