View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Cruise Queen

I've just started looking at machine quilting frames. I bought the handiquilter when it first came out - put it together once and hated it. I had also bought a Juki TL98E to use with the handiquilter - I've never even taken it out of its orginal box. Now I think I want to get into this - I have too many quilt tops ready to quilt, I know in the long run I would save money doing it myself. So......I'm a die hard Viking customer -but I would kind of like to get a frame that I can use the Juki on (9" reach), but be able to later upgrade to an 18" machine without buying a new frame. I must be able to do King Size quilts. I'm thinking I want a metal frame over a wooden frame (unless someone can convice me otherwise). Viking has the Q-Bot - would be nice but out of the budget for now - I think I can get by with free motion and I would like to be able to use pantograms, so will need a stylus. Have looked at QuiltCad software - looks interesting (anyone have it and use it?). Will I be happy with the 9" arm on the Juki or will I become frustrated and wish I had started with an 18" arm? With the 9" does it just mean I will have to roll the quilt more often - what would any other disadvantages be? I've been reading about the Pinnacle (the big one for King size) - and of course my Viking dealers/friends recommend the Imperial frame or the Next Generation Frame (all made by Grace - I believe), but if I understand correctly, the Next Generation wouldn't work with an 18" machine. Budget - I would like to keep it under $2000.00. I've been told I will also want a "stitch regulator" however I go - I don't know if that is even available for the Juki TL98E since that machine has been discontinued. Any advice or recommendations will be greatly appreciated! I'm a bit overwhelmed at this point!!!