Thread: Help
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Bill'sBonBon

Originally Posted by Carol W
I pinned and I tried to space them a hand width apart.

I've tried the spray basting and my needle would get all gummy.

I know there are allot of people on this message board who love the spray basting, but I've not had good luck with it. I wish that I could. It seems as though it works well for allot of you.
I know you are unhappy with spray basting,A good one will not gum up your machine. BUUUT if you use craft spray glue it will,and there is a difference. HOW DO I KNOW,DONE THAT. OMG WHAT A MESS THOUGHT I HAD RUINED MY MACHINE. It is not the same as quilt basting spray. Also in my own experience, if you don't have the backing taut enough it will pucker,DONE THAT. If you just use the basting spray on a large quilt and it is not 100 percent cotton it will comes loose quickly. That includes the batting. Like the real fluffy kind I like to use for the soft look on the kids quilt.The basting Glue just doesn't hold the poly kind very well. So when I spray a large quilt all at once I also do some basting. But as a rule I only spray glue on a small quilt. The crayon quilts,because I was in such a hurry has a couple little pleats on front and back. On the front it is close to the mider points on the back it is somewhere in the middle. Unless you point it out because the material is dark you cant see it. I only spray basted and some of the material on the back is not 100 percent cotton. To me even though it is a YUK job to some I believe stretching back pretty tight on floor pinning if you have carpet,taping with masking tape if you have wood or tile floors,then spreading batting smooth it out,then put you top on and smooth it out but don't stretch it. Then pin baste. I have learned to baste on a table top thanks to my quilting quild. I probably didn't help you but just couldn't help myself because you are doing like I use to do. It just makes you so mad when you turn your quilt over and see that pleat,pucker. I truly hope you find a way to fix it. Sisters don't mind mistakes. It is the fact that you took the time and love to fix it for her. That is what counts.
Bill'sBonBon