View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Farm Quilter

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Am I supposed to be aiming for a stitch that looks like machine stitching, or is my 'goal' the smaller the better? Seems like the smaller the stitching, the more space between them.

I also ordered a small wholecloth panel that I'm planning on using as the centerpiece of a queen-sized quilt, and I'm looking forward to planning an original design. Does anyone know about these pre-printed panels? Will the markings just wash off in water? I also already received some wool batting for the quilt, and am excited to see how it will needle. Trina
I was taught that with hand quilting the goal is to have even stitches, 8-10 per inch if I could evenly get them that small, with the space between the stitches the same as the length of the stitches or smaller. I am a stabber when I hand quilt, not a rocker, so that is not too difficult to achieve, just time consuming.

With the pre-printed panel...do not iron it until you have quilted it because you will set the ink and it will never go away. Also, do not leave it for terribly long or the lines will not go away - my MIL had me quilt a cross-stitch whole cloth queen size quilt that she was supposed to hand quilt and the quilting lines would not go away. The top was about 20 years old when she gave it to me and I had to quilt it with blue thread to try to hide the blue lines.

You will love the way the wool needles! That's the only batting I will hand quilt with, but I know that others use cotton or poly and like them as well.

Sounds like you are having fun!!!