View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Liz aka Helen

Originally Posted by Just Jane
Originally Posted by burnsk
Helo a chroeso i'r Bwrdd o Michigan.

My mom was born in Rhos and my dad was raised in Cardiff. I am nain to 11 wyrion.

I took Welsh lessons back in 1996 so it's been a while. Please forgive me if my Welsh is not good. It's a very difficult language to learn. My folks always spoke Welsh when they didn't want us to know what they were talking about. So, needless to say, they never taught us to speak it. LOL

Yes, this Board is addicting.
This is so funny that you said your parents would speak Welsh when they didn't want you to know what they were saying -- my great-grandmother did the same thing to my mother and her brother! Mom did learn a nursery rhyme and how to count to ten. In my case, my grandmother would reply: "Kigbogh and cabbage" when we would ask what was for dinner -- obviously, this isn't spelled correctly -- but it meant "pigs feet and cabbage." I also learned a "bad" word. When we were being especially bad, Gram (who lived with us) would call us "mauchin." Again, not spelled correctly, but she said it meant something along the lines of naughty, dirty pigs -- all said with much love!

:D
mauchin bidda is what i remember being called ;-)