View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 06:59 AM
PaperPrincess
Power Poster

As far as the copyright is concerned, you are basically cutting triangles, so there's no real pattern. The books have different ideas on how to arrange the resultant hexagon blocks.
This is my take. There are 2 main book series out there, OBW and Stack & Whack. In both, you find the fabric repeats and carefully stack them. Both these methods produce kalidescope blocks. To me a One Block Wonder quilt takes the fabric and reduces it to colors. You just cut strips and triangles, without regard for the fabric pattern. Although you get some beautiful blocks, the individual blocks are not important, it's the overall arrangement into a new fabric where the colors flow that counts. The individual blocks melt into each other. The Stack and Whack method seems to highlight the individual kalidescope blocks that are created by surrounding them with other fabrics, making them the center piece of a larger block. this is where you would fussy cut your stacked pieces to get the prettiest blocks.
I've since stumbled on "Doubledipty: More Serendipity Quilts" which is similar to the stack and whack. IF you have left over kalidescope blocks, you need this book! She (Sara Nephew) really enhances the kalidescope blocks, she also has several border patterns.