View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 07:33 AM
gaigai
Banned

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
Question of the day: Many years ago I made a hexagon quilt using the stack and whack book. Now I see all the OBW quilts and think.. isnt that the same pattern?? I know they have octagons too but how can someone sell something as a new pattern/idea, make a book, sell it using someone elses idea? We can't copy copywritten items.. it doesnt make sense unless I am forgetting how the Stack and Whack tutorial went vs the OBW tutorial. It seems the same to me. I recall sewing them in rows too vs sewing them together and insetting the seams. Confused I guess. My latest is a OBW and hopefully will be done by mid week next. I am not as fast as I was a dozen years ago sigh...
They aren't copyrighting the pattern, they are writing a book about how to make the pattern using their own words and using their own illustrations. The book is copyrighted, but not the pattern. All it is, is triangles. There are lots of books about Lonestar quilts. The pattern itself isn't proprietary, it's the instructions and illustrations each author puts into the book that is. Does that make sense?