Old 02-12-2011, 09:15 AM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

I went to look at a 201 yesterday that looked like it was in pretty good cosmetic condition... When moving the hand wheel everything moved very well, so it didn't appear to have mechanical problems or be gunked up too bad inside. The problem, however, came when plugging it in and stepping on the pedal. The machine sewed slowly at first (nowhere near the speed a 201 should get up to) and then bogged down and even stopped! Obviously an electrical problem, not a mechanical one. Before I decide if I want to get involved with this machine, I wanted to run it past the experts here! Do you think changing the cords will solve this, or does this sound like a motor problem? Worn out motor? Brushes just need changing?

I wasn't in love with the cabinet... It's a heavy wood cabinet that somehow eliminates the foot pedal, and has it's own little foot lever attached to the cabinet. That could also be the source of the problem-- the wiring to that.

I definitely need to get some ideas and opinions before I decide if I want to attempt to refurbish this machine. Thanks!