Thread: Free motion
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 10:54 AM
All Thumbs

Originally Posted by Ceil
Originally Posted by All Thumbs
Lots of laughter to begin with! Practice is an essential and what I found the most beneficial is good dense batting. Some of this thin cheap stuff or high loft thick does not make learning free motion any easier. In fact, I will not use it. If it is worth my time to meander or free motion some stars, hearts and cartoons, then it is worth spending more money for the batting. After that, just draw like you were in the third grade once again! :)
Do you have any brands that you would recommend? I've been just using the Joann's warm and natural that goes on sale...
Yes, a few years ago I ordered a huge $100 roll of Warm and Natural from JoAnns (on sale at the time). Would you believe I am still using it albeit the end is coming soon. Also, at Hancocks I noticed they had Warm and White recently; I have not had bad luck with that for my charity quilts. They (who ever they is) say it is made by the same company but I am not so sure because of the way some of my meandering came out. Of course, the fabric and thread do make a different too. I use Gutermann's for piecing and Signature for machine quilting.

I have been told, however, that when making quilts for the battered women's center, they prefer the lighter weight batting in blankets because it does not take so much time in the dryer. Makes sense to save electrical expenses. For those quilts with less dense batting, I use a walking foot and do a straight cross-hatch stitch for quilting. It turns out okay.

But, like I said earlier, if I am going to spend time doing some nice free motion quilting, it is Warm and Natural every time.
Thanks for asking and good luck.