View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Gerbie

Looks good gal. You are doing great. May I give you a suggestion. If you will freeze your cakes before you frost them, you will not have as many crumbs to deal with when frosting them. If there are any loose crumbs you can brush them off and not mess up the rest of the cake or get new crumbs. Yes chocolate is harder, because of the dark crumbs showing through the white frosting. But when frozen, they work much better. I alway freeze my cakes before frosting them, unless I am really pushed for time. Just a little hint. To make your cakes flatter on the top, I always take an old dish towel, or large terry cloth hand towel, usually takes two depending on the size of the pan. I safety pin them together on one end and throughly wet them then wrap all around the edges of the pan and pin the remaining two ends. Sometimes, the fabric may scorch some, but that's why you use an old one. With these wrapped around the pan, the cake cookes from the middle out leaving the sides moist, instead of from the sides first and giving you a hump in the middle of the cake that may need to be trimmed off before frosting, leaving lots of crumbs. Keep up the good work.