View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Maride

On Valentines day 1987 I married my sweet heart. It was more of a convenience date rather than romance. He had a started a new job a few weeks before and couldn't take time off for a honeymoon, so we wanted to have at least a 3 day weekend. That year president's day fell on the 14th and we took advantage of that to get married. It was a very simple wedding with just 35 guests. My in-laws ordered some food and did the party at their home. Jorge and I left for a 2 night stay near Kennedy airport. We at least pretended to be going somewhere by watching planes take off. When we got back Monday afternoon, there were still people there eating and drinking. I had to quickly change and start throwing away whatever was left to prevent anyone from getting sick. That food was out and kept warm for 2 days! Luckily no one got sick and everyone had a great time. They did stay until the last beer was finished. We lived for 3 years in a tiny basement apartment with no windows, but we were as happy as we could be.

We don't make it a big celebration, especially for the last 3 years, but exactly 3 years ago DH was living in California and I found out a local quilt shop for him was having a re-opening sale and I sent him. He spent a long time there to the point that the ladies knew him by first name and 2 days later I got a huge package of fabrics from him. A month later I went to California to bring him back home and visited the shop before driving back to NY. The ladies still remembered him.

It is certain that we make plans for what our future will be like, but there is somewhere a higher authority that decides what that future will be, like in my case, nothing like what I had planned. I am still very happily married, but definitely not where I would like to be, and I just have to suck it up and face it. Since I got married 24 years ago I had 3 wonderful kids, got a house, lost a house, had many jobs, lost the latest one, changed my career (working on it), and God knows how many more changes we will be facing. I have always had food on the table, so I can't complaint. So, happy anniversary, Jorge. I love you.