Old 02-12-2011, 02:36 PM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by kwendt
Hey all.... I just saw another Singer 27, Tiffany decals, with a BELT driven electric motor on it. Was a Singer motor too. Belt ran from motor housing to the belt race on the large spoke'd chrome wheel. (This machine was a later 27, had the trapazoid plate on the front of the head, was a VS machine, bolted on motor. Foot pedal was mounted on right, inside of cabinet with a knee lever control actuating the pedal. I think with that set up, it was original. Therefore, I believe (but I'm not the expert!) that in between Singers 'treadle' models... and the full electric potted motors using gears instead of belts.... there was a sort of 'half n half' machine. Still used belts, but the belt ran from the external motor to the spoked hand wheel belt race. I don't have an approx. age on that one I described above, except to say that the S/N was a single letter prefix... so...
Not all electric Singers had the solid wheel. Singer introduced the electric motor in the early 1900's and the solid handwheels were introduced in the 30's I believe.

Billy
Interesting! Just when you think you've got it figured out... :?

Also, thanks Billy for the explanation of eMachine. I'm still trying to get the hang of using my treadle. Fast is okay, but slow is problematic.