Thread: What's next?
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 08:11 AM
nor'easter
Banned

OMG, what a group of incredibly busy, organized, active, ambitious, creative, generous quilters we have here!! I feel like a slug for only listing my very next project and not all the ones after that, but I only do one at a time...or else I'd never finish ANYTHING. :oops:

My significant work in progress is this one:
When I cleaned out my mother's house after her death in 2002, I found an "almost" queen sized plaid wool patchwork quilt top that she had "almost" finished. One row of patches was still pinned to the main body. It was made from fabrics that she and I had bought together long, long ago from a shop that sold wool for rug braiding, in 20" wide strips 6 yards long. I still had some of my matching fabrics, so I added a row of patches all the way around hers, sort of embracing her work :oops: , and making it truly queen sized. The backing is solid, though in 20" strips of navy and cranberry, and it is sandwiched and pinned. I plan to do various hand embroidery stitches in crewel yarn (also left by my mother), to "tie" this one simply because the top is far from flat and because my mother taught me a great deal about crewel embroidery back in the '70s when it was "the thing to do" (does anyone else remember Erica Wilson??). I will probably just tie it temporarily and bind it so I can use it and embroider at my own speed over the next year or so. I call it "Mom's Quilt" and the label will say pieced by Kay, finished by Janet. This is one that I am keeping, that's for sure. It will be left to my daughter, who has been told it's history already. Lots of love and hugs and memories in that quilt!! :oops: :D

And, fabricluvr, I still have to sew the binding on one last Christmas quilt, so you're not alone in that category! :wink: