View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 12:55 PM
roguequilter

Originally Posted by sgardner
I found this thing in a tub from ages past from an old relative. I know they lived through depression era- you didn't throw out anything, used everything useful, and I am sure this blanket reflects this.

I have a new Avante (LA) to play with, and I need the quilting practice. However, this thing is so ugly that I decided that maybe revising the fabric may be a better task than just throwing a back and batting on it. I had originally thought that I would just cut it in half and use it as a top and bottom, but wow. The more I looked at it, the more I saw even that is a poor choice!

Issues- the color placement is very odd! I'm thinking if I take it apart, and then make half square triangles, it would look better (pair the yellow with the black, the two plaids together, the orange with the blue (since the orange has blue in it), etc and then arrange those to get a pattern. Also, the seams are wonky- no 1/4 inch- they are crooked, corners don't match, and there is excess fabric on the seams. All of the fabrics are heavier- think an apron made of canvas and you have the weight of most of these fabrics.

So, what do you all think? It's a picnic blanket for sure- this one is never going to be anyone's prize blanket. I think as is it wins the ugly blanket contest (currently it has no back or batting).
it is fam hx...i would back it ...tie it....and prize it.