View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Maride

Congratulations, but please!!! be very careful with AmEx. Their annual fees are the highest I have seen ever, you must pay the balance in full every month, which is a good practice anyways, but in general their service is good as long as you don't need them. I had one since 1987 and we were upgraded a few times. we refused any more upgrades once we got to the gold card. We had a great rapport with them. We charged everything under the sun and some months paid up to $3,000, since we switched all of our expenses to them. I flew home to PR a few times, made large purchases, and we took advantage of their rewards program to the point that one year we didn't spend a penny for Christmas. It all came from redeeming our points. You would figure a card would take care of such good customers. Oh no! my husband lost his job and our pattern of spending was seriously changed. Now we were charging less than $500.00 a month and they didn't like that. We ALWAYS paid them on time before anything else. What they did in return was to go check our credit report, and because it had dropped, they put a limit on our card. Our credit score dropped some more and they lowered our limit even more. I still paid them on time for the few times we could use the card. Right now I closed my account because I was unable to charge more than $250 per month. They punished us for having questionable credit, even though they were never affected by it.

I don't think they had the right to do that, but I guess we are better off without them. Now we charge nothing and get no rewards, but nothing we can do about it.

I am not trying to be mean or upset you by any means, just to let you know y story and say to please, be careful with them.