Old 01-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Gramyx7

I restored one for some people and this is what i did. (first remove the half flowers). After it is quilted lay it out and get some of the unbleached muslin. The unbleached muslin gives it that antique look, make the strips wide enough to go under the first row of hexegons in the holes where you removed the half flower, then draw a line under the muslin and follow the flower shape , put stitch witchery under the flower and on top of the muslin, iron it all away around, and then with your machine applique it to the muslin, this gives you a border all around your quilt and makes it square.. you can make it as wide as you want if you want a wide border.. then I put it back on my machine and made feather motifs on the muslin where I had removed the half flowers... binded it and they loved it.. make sure and have matching thread for the applique part... i did a small hem stitch beautiful... ( ps... do not quilt the last row of flowers so yo can put the muslin and stitch witchery under neath the flowers and on top of the batting)
hope this helps...
Lynn