Old 01-06-2009, 08:04 AM
mommaB

I have e-mailed both senators from Ohio with this question/statement(bad as it may be!):

I am trying to get clarification on the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act. Many of my quilting friends have many concerns about what this means for us. Will they still be able to make quilts and donate them to various charity groups? Many of them make crib quilts and children 's quilts to give. Can we sell quilts at craft shows? Or fear is that we will be required to have all kinds of extremely expensive testing done on one of a kind items. Our small cottage type industries will have to shut down.

Another concern involved the second hand stores, like Once Upon a Child here in Columbus. Will we still be able to consign our kids clothes there and buy the affordable used clothing they currently sell? People are afraid this will force these shops to close up.

All I can say is what a waste of resources and money. Simply because the Chinese don't care if they follow our standards. We are forced to bare the economic burden of their carelessness. How about we do something about the junk money hungry manufacturers import to save a buck and bring some production back into the US. Leave the small business people here alone. The women I communicate with don't have 3 out of a million items to send for testing like Mattel or other huge companies do.

Please, tell me I have misinterpreted the legal mumbo-jumbo of this Act! It seems way too broad and a little like Big Brother.

Thanks for your time and clarification.

I urge all of you to send your own letters to your congressmen, I read somewhere that's the best way to get their attention electronically, better than petitions. Let's make them work for their pay like we do!! I'll let you know if I ever hear anything back!

Mary