Old 02-14-2011, 10:08 AM
gal288

P
Originally Posted by Texasjunebug
Peg, those are beautiful!! What paint did you use? Does the fabric stay soft (it looks like it did)? Any technique would be appreciated - I've been going back and forth between oil painting canvas and my cotton quilting! My husband wants me to paint my own images on fabric, then quilt them.
The coneflowers were done on duponi silk, I enlarged a photo from my garden, traced with a water erasable marker onto the silk,

Sandwiched muslin,batting, &the silk, and then free motioned sewed the tracing with clear monofilliment.

I put resist on top of the stitching so the paint would not bleed too much. I then pzinted the background with water colors, using fabric medium in the mix. Then I did the leaves &flowers, let it dry, which took a couple of days, and than went back & fixed what needed more.

The hand of the silk is still soft, but the one. I did on muslin isn't. The muslin stiffened, but the are wall hangings, so I don't care.

After drying the piece, I then thread painted where I wanted too.
After that, I added a backing, & then did some free motion quilting.

The beads were added last, not going through the backing.

It was fun, and a learning experience, I felt my way through by my instinct of painting. So you should have no trouble if you oil psint.