Old 01-06-2009, 04:20 PM
BabkaGal

Hi all,

I just wanted to show you the quilted picnic blanket that I finished last week! I had a few requirements for this quilt:

--Manly colors (quilt was a gift for a man) but still cheerful
--Dark colors (since quilt is made for the outdoors)
--Simple but interesting pattern
--Oilcloth for backing (to keep the quilt waterproof on damp ground)

I used one layer cake and one charm pack for the quilt, plus some extra yardage for the borders. It was the "Bistro" collection by Moda, which was a fabulous set of fabrics (highly recommended)! It had some whimsical prints relating to coffee, but it mostly had interesting geometric designs. The 40 fabrics in the collection coordinated really well together.

The pattern was called "Diamond in the Rough" by Crazy Old Ladies (found at the Fat Quarter Shop online). It was very quick and suitable for a beginner or advanced beginner.

I made some revisions to the quilt: increased the size of the borders, and machine appliqued the small diamonds (more interesting than piecing it). I also used muslin instead of cotton batting to make the blanket thinner and more portable. The finished quilt was about 70" x 80".

The oilcloth was a little tricky to work with (hard to move with the feed dogs), but it was easier to handle when I had the oilcloth on top. As a final way to help with dirt and waterproofing, I scotchguarded the quilt top.

Hope you like it! Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails attachment-32790.jpe   attachment-32794.jpe   attachment-32805.jpe