View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 05:23 AM
I Herd Ewe

Please get her a nice quality real machine. I bought a cheap sewing machine when I was in college and made a few things but I hated sewing with the machine. I loved hand sewing but nothing worked well for me on the machine. I thought it was me and gave up machine sewing for the next 20 years. Then, when my youngest daughter started sewing in 4-H (age 5), I took her to a 4-H meeting with the old machine and the instructor told me "Let her use my machine. She will hate sewing if she tries to learn on your machine." I went and bought a good machine for her and now, not only does she love sewing (now age 16), I also love sewing on that machine! We often start out on a new craft buying cheap poor quality equipment because we want to save money in case we don't continue in the craft. Having no experience with good equipment, we are frustrated trying to learn and give up because we don't enjoy it. Start her with good equipment even if you have to borrow it. (My daughter borrowed a machine from that wonderful 4-H leader for those first couple years while I saved money to buy the machine we now use.)