View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 06:13 AM
Diana Lynne

Originally Posted by ckcowl
gosh, my thought was somthing else was put on the bolt...broadcloth is normally quite a bit heavier than quilting cottons...and as for being (slippery?) makes a person go....hhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
did you pre-wash...that would help with the slippery part, removing the sizing which can make a fabric slippery...but i would do a burn test and see if it is in fact cotton.
one thing that will help you is to use a stablizer, you could get a lightweight non-woven stablizer, they come in sew in and fusable...add it to the back =should make the fabric easier to work with and will add the weight needed to make it a good durable quilt. i am kind of surprised though...i've been using broadcloth fabrics for 40 years...i've never had a lightweight one, and i've never had a slippery one...where did you get it? i still am leaning toward, the incorrect fabric was on the bolt board and what you have is something different. but always open out bolts, spread out a yard or so -- look and feel the fabrics before buying them
Yes, I pre washed it and there was little to no shrinkage..Which I thought was odd? I bought it at our Hancocks ..I think that I may go there and talk to them and show them the fabric, I still have like a little more than 1 yard left of both the black and the red...I should of thought twice before buying it but I let my heart rule instead of common sense...