View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 05:52 PM
mpeters1200

Recently there was a topic about abbreviations, but turns out they were regular ones as opposed to quilting ones.

We've had discussions about PIGS (Projects in Grocery Sacks) and WIPS Work In Progress and we've joked back and forth about whipped pigs and such.

I know that a BOM is a block of the month. I get how they work in a store and how that is different from how they work online. They are so much more expensive online. But the BOM's that are here, there are 2 a month. Are these posted patterns that can be joined anytime or is there a specific month one starts ie. January. We use our own fabrics? are there color guidelines?

What about exchanges. Sometimes FQ's, sometimes blocks. What are the rules to those?

Also, Konstatin recently had an article about mystery quilts that I found very informing.

I know that FQ's are fat quarters and that there are layer cakes and jelly rolls. There are even these new things that are half of a fat quarter or some such nonsense. I am a full yardage kinda girl myself.

Thanks to Jennifer Chiaverini....I have an elementary education of round robins. What are swaps? Do each of these things have rules, where each individual round robin or swap is different?

I just thought we could talk about this for a while. I still consider myself a basic quilter. But I feel even more of a newbie about how things work online than in a brick and mortar.

Any thoughts?

Melissa