Old 01-08-2009, 07:36 AM
ksusan

A few years ago, I made twin size patchwork rag quilts out of used flannel shirts. I was amazed at the good fabric available at the local thrift shop in shirts with buttons missing or tears in part of the item. These are bright
and cheery quilts with the softness and warmth of flannel and cotton batting.

I was raised in a household where both parents went through the Great Depression of the 1930's. We mended items or recycled clothing fabric in newly constructed garments.

Which reminds me...... If you ever run across a woman's pleated Pendleton brand wool skirt.....you've really found something. I have removed the stitching, pressed out the sharp pleats with a damp tea towel and steam iron; joined the front and back sections and ended up with lovely Pendleton wool plaid couch throws. The colors are outstanding and the final hemmed throw folds up to almost nothing for storage in the summer months. I can always tell Pendleton wool blindfolded by its wonderful "hand." If you carefully wash with Woolite brand soap/detergent and dry over a shower rod, you also eliminate dry cleaning expenses. I have three beautiful throws in my possession :)

Piecefully yours,
Kay Susan