Old 02-16-2011, 06:40 AM
gal288

Originally Posted by KathyAire
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Why would applying by machine be any less "real" than applying by hand? Applique means "to apply" in French. Just as machine piecing and machine quilting are just as real as hand pieceing and hand quilting, machine applique is just as real.
It's not that it isn't 'real', it's just that, to me, the hand applique looks so much better. There is such a difference. That being said, when I do dogs, that's not something that is elegant and the raw edge applique 'fits' the project.
I do admire the hand stuff, though.
j

I sooo agree with Kathy, all types of applique are good, but the project selected is how I decide on which to use.

I use needle turn on "elegant" quilts, bed, things I make for myself & my familly.

To qualify that statement, years ago I made a needle turn quilt as a wedding gift for my secretary. It took almost a year to make, went to visit her 5 years later & the quilt was in the dogs bed & he was really enjoying it!
Lesson learned,I do NOT make hand applique for anyone outside the family, only those who know how much work it is!

I use fusible & raw edge for. Wallhanginngs, runners,pillows,,, etc.

I will say that my experience is that fusible does not hold up. Over many washings &yrs. Things. I made 15 years ago have frayed & needs occasional repair.

I just found this club,, & enjoyed reading everyones comments.