Old 02-16-2011, 12:07 PM
grannysewer

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by kwendt
The 301 does straight stitch only and has reverse. They are wonderful machines that sew at a pretty fast clip.
Sharon

Has drop feed dogs!!! Ruff Ruff!
Well, that is interesting to note - drops feed dogs!

I had heard the machines that do have a buttonholer attachment like the FW, but don't zig zag are a little trying to the nerves to get a button hole. I think you have to move the fabric or something? Anyway, our instructor at the FW class said some people use the button holer, but she found it very difficult because the machine doesn't actually zig zag, like the Rocketeer does. Since the 301 and the FW are so similar, I think the button hole attachment works on either one. I think, I'd use those two for straight stitch stuff and leave the button holes to a different machine!

I am going to keep my eyes open for a 301 just to see how much I'd like her! But, I really like my FW's and my Rocketeer is a blast to sew with!

Nancy
I have a FW 222K. The feed dogs go down and it sews beautiful buttonholes on just a double layer of fabric (no starching) and ditto with the zig zag patterns. I got my two attachements on ebay, and they both work a treat.
My 301 came with a buttonhole attachment. Haven't tried it yet, chicken I guess. Doesn't seem possible that a straight stitch machine would make buttonholes. Bobbie