View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 10:14 PM
vschieve

Dear gypsyatheart43,
About 3 years ago I began researching and trying to find out for my mother who manufactured her treadle New England Queen which I pictured above. We would walk into antique stores and would see various names on treadles other than the Singer name and she would ask if they knew and they would look in their books but to no avail. Well the Internet has now been a vital tool in allowing the question be answered. New England Queen was made by the National Sewing Machine Company out of Belvidere, Illinois not far from Chicago. My mothers machine actual had beautiful decals which over the years rubbed off, but there is a picture of her exact same machine head on webshots, with the pretty colorful flowers and New England Queen stenciled across.

As for your Franklin, the first ten years 1910-1920 it was made by Domestic, but then after that made by White, and was sold at Sears. Here is a little history for you and actually if you scroll down far enough you can see a sketch of one as I believe these pictures were taken out of old Sears catalogs and Monky Ward too.
http://www.ismacs.net/sears/sears.html

I know you love your machine and I think you would love it even more if you found someone that knows how to get it going. To put a new belt on mother's, and cleaning, oiling and adjustments brought the cost right under $100. It is so sentimental due to the fact that when I look at my childhood portraits and see the dress mother made, I know it was made on that New England Queen sitting right here in this house. And to think, I am using it now to piece a quilt.

Go for it! It just so happens the Singer store here is owned by an elderly man that has much knowledge and expertise in sewing machines from back in that era. But our Pfaff, Brother and Janome dealer where I frequent has a repairman that also works on treadles. So I think if you searched and asked around you probably would find the right repair person to take it on.