Old 01-10-2009, 07:04 AM
mpeters1200

Someone beat me to the punch on the crumb question. What's a string quilt?

I have saved every piece of denim in this house about ten years. Haven't gotten around to cutting them up yet, but in due time I'm sure.

I have cut up my thinnest and most worn bath towels and converted them into hand towels. I also took a couple and didn't cut them up. I used them as padding when I made my own ironing board.

An idea I hadn't seen on here yet, but it is a bit of a pain. I have a TON of apholstery samples. I ran around to some interior decorators and asked if they recycle their sample books at all. I got a great big NO. I asked if I could pick up their cotton sample books when they were finished with them. I have to rip the books apart which takes a bit of umph to do and cut off all the industrial glue on them. I also cut of the label glued to the back. I haven't found an easy way to get the label off yet. Yes, they shrink like crazy, but I use pinking shears on the edges that already aren't pinked and just wash and go.

I find these fabrics to be heavy, beautiful colors and very versatile. They can be used for and in about anything. They have wonderful designs. I know some kids who, when they lay down, like to rub their fingers over something bumpy to be soothed. I've made some smaller twin tops in one of my charity groups, and these kids just love them.

Also, they are great for making a foundation pieced strip quilt. We used a thick white material for the foundation, and just stitched the strips on top.