View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 12:59 PM
JCL in FL

You will get used to the rocking motion of the needle and your stitches will get smaller with more practice. I hand quilt all my quilts and I use a PVC frame, it's easier to change positions I find. Another tool I use are the small rubber circles that are needle pullers. Sometimes when you get several stitches on your needle it's hard to pull them through and the rubber circle grasps the needle and you're through.
I sandwich my quilts and use pins rather than basting. I use lots of pins and the ones that have the best side to them. I start in the middle and work our pinning in each direction, turning occasionally to make sure the back hasn't shifted.
Your fingers can get really sore cause you use the tips to feel as you are stitching and may need to take a day off here and there to let them rest.
Your top looks great, I'm doing a grandma's flower garden now and it's basically the same thing, lots of hexagons. You started quilting with a pattern that needs lots of stitches. It'll take you a while but you'll really be happy with the 1/4 inch quilting inside each circle. Have fun and show us when you're done.Most hand quilters like the backs of their quilts as much as the front.