Old 02-17-2011, 11:09 AM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by kwendt
Ahh.... and speaking of odd machines...

I ran across a Singer 328k (made in great britian). Tan in cabinet, uses cams. No accessories, books, or anything included in it. The thrift store wanted $40 for it. Should I consider getting this? It has a hidden belt drive, it looks like. The cabinet is so 50's with only a little side pull out holding almost nothing. ??? Good machine? Or no?
Here is a review: http://zigzaggers.typepad.com/zigzag...model-328.html

Another helpful site I found while researching on zig zag machines for treadles.

Buy it! Rescue it!
Nothing but glowing reviews there, but here's another opinion:
Bill Holman who runs the VintageSingers group at Yahoogroups, absolutely hates that machine. He is an old Singer man from way back... He says it was designed poorly with no way to adjust the hook closer to the needle for sewing on fine things like knits and lingerie. So they skip sts on lightweight fabrics. He said he'd seen people bringing them in for repair for that reason, for years, and there was no way to fix it except that they bought an aftermarket "knit kit" to be installed. He felt the kit should have been done as a recall, not make people pay for it to make the machine work as it should have in the first place. He also said the motor on those was "akin to a hamster in a cage."

I have no dog in this fight, don't own a 328. I just wanted to pass along another opinion to consider, since you asked. :-)