View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Pamela Artman

I want to have a garden this year... I hope I can manage to do that. Years ago, I used to have a good sized garden, but 6 years ago, we moved to a condo and there was no space for a garden. We had some tomatoes in an earth box on the deck and I planted flowers around the front walk, but that was it. We moved to this house in northern Michigan a year ago and the yard needed serious work! Last summer, I only managed to clean the yard up, plant and transplant some plants in front of the front porch and clean out about half the raspberries. There must have been a garden here years ago because there's a long raised bed in the back yard that has completely grown over with grass and weeds and to make matters worse, my husband piled branches and leaves at one end last fall. The sides of the bed have fallen over and the boards were half buried, so I'm not sure where to start. Also, the growing season is short here, so I'm thinking of planing tomatoes in planters that I can bring into the garage at night when it starts getting cold in the fall. And lastly, I have back problems and arthritis in my hips, so gardening is a lot harder for me than it used to be. But I sure do want a garden!!! I'm thinking of hiring someone to dig out the boards, till up all the weeds and get it ready for planting. I like the idea of a raised bed so I can reach it better.